1/1 Photo of Rhubarb & Strawberry Crisp
I found this on one of those little grocery store recipe cards. I love the combination of rhubarb and strawberries anyway so this is a fun way to serve that as a crisp. The card shows how to make this on the "grill" which is basically putting the dish on the cool side of a grill and cooking covered for 25 minutes. That means if you don't want to turn on an oven you can still make this dish. The other option would be your oven and you would bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Either way it is great and even more wonderful with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 stalks rhubarb, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 -4 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (honestly I use more)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I use more of this too)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed (make sure it is cold not room temp.)
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and the pinch of salt, stirring together well.
- 2Spoon mixture into an 8x8 in (20x20 cm) glass baking dish.
- 3In a second bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter, and stir with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit mixture.
- 4If using oven, place in a 325F preheated oven, and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and fruit is tender.
- 5If using an outdoor grill, position the pan on a cool side of the grill (that means for a gas grill no heat directly underneath). Maintain the heat to a medium-low temperature (around 300F). Close lid of grill and cook 25-30 minutes. Make sure to rotate the baking dish on the grill about every 8 minutes for even cooking.
- 6Either way, the fruit should be tender and the juices bubbling when finished cooking.
- 7I love serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb & Strawberry Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.4
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 101.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g