Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
My aunt used to grow TONS of rhubarb and I wish I had it now, finding it these days isn't always easy. This recipe is very old, and you can use fresh or frozen rhubarb.
- 59.14 ml cold butter (no subs)
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 236.59 ml chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen, and thawed)
- 78.07 ml softened butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 large egg
- 354.88 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground nutmeg
- 118.29 ml cream
- In a bowl, cut butter into brown sugar till crumbly. Stir in rhubarb. Spoon mixture evenly into 12 WELL GREASED muffin cups (I have tried using cupcake papers, and it doesn't work!). Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, cream butter or margarine, and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with cream.
- Spoon batter over rhubarb filling cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake 350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and invert onto serving tray. Serve warm.
Really enjoyed this recipe. It's quick, easy and very good. The cake has excellent texture and the rhubarb is balanced perfectly by the brown sugar/sugar. I substituted greek yogurt/milk mixture for the heavy cream. I cut an extra 1/2 cup of rhubarb, so I added it in.
Since we have TONS of rhubarb in our garden, I was happy to find this easy, delicious recipe! I increased the rhubarb to 1 1/2 cups & chopped it into fairly small pieces. The bottom (top???) didn't become real sticky because (a) I baked them in my silpat muffin pan OR (b) because I didn't put them into the oven until an hour after assembling. Some of the rhubarb stayed in the bottom with some of the juices - that was OK as I ate it with a spoon - LOL. When I make these again (and I definitely will), I'll time things better so I can still serve them warm ........... I'll also add some cinnamon to the batter. Thanx for posting!
These sticky buns are really good. I did change a few things. I used rhubarb AND strawberries and mixed them together with the brown sugar. I didn't use the butter in the crumble - didn't need it. I added 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp orange zest, and 1/4 cup orange juice to the batter. Orange goes amazingly well with rhubarb and strawberries. I also used plain Greek yogurt instead of cream. These sticky buns turned out EXCELLENT!