Recipe by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
My aunt used to grow TONS of rhubarb and I wish I had it now, finding it these days isn't always easy. This recipe is very old, and you can use fresh or frozen rhubarb.
Top Review by CrazyBoutCooking
Really enjoyed this recipe. It's quick, easy and very good. The cake has excellent texture and the rhubarb is balanced perfectly by the brown sugar/sugar. I substituted greek yogurt/milk mixture for the heavy cream. I cut an extra 1/2 cup of rhubarb, so I added it in.
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter (no subs)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen, and thawed)
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, cut butter into brown sugar till crumbly. Stir in rhubarb. Spoon mixture evenly into 12 WELL GREASED muffin cups (I have tried using cupcake papers, and it doesn't work!). Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, cream butter or margarine, and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with cream.
- Spoon batter over rhubarb filling cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake 350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and invert onto serving tray. Serve warm.