Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A bar recipe with a shortbread crust.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 4 cups rhubarb, fresh or frozen, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 4 -6 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped or 1 cup Cool Whip
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 8 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, bring the rhubarb, sugar, water and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water, let stand for 1 minute.
- Stir into rhubarb mixture.
- Cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in food coloring if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 2 hours.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spread over crust.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- Cut into squares.
This dessert is very refreshing and light for the texture. The crust is really good. I used the red food coloring cause my rhubarb is green. The squares are very good. Thanks CoffeeB :) Made for Market tag game
This year's last rhubarb's destination... Very refreshing squares, perfect with a nice cup of coffee :-) Thanks for posting!