Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Cooking light May 2008
- 3 1⁄2 cups finely chopped rhubarb, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small poeces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375.
- To prepare cake, combine rhubarb and 2 tablespoons flour in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
- Place brown sugar and 5 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream, rind, and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. combine flours, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Fold in rhubarb mixture. Spread batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare streusel, combine turbinado sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. cut in 2 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 forks until mixture is crumbly; stir in nuts. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter. Bake at 375 F for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.