Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my special occasion recipes and since there is a demand for rhubarb recipes, I thought I would share this one. Originally published in Canadian Living.
- 1 (10 inch) pie crusts (ready made or from your favourite recipe)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- In a bowl, whisk the egg with the sour cream.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the rhubarb; spoon into the pie crust.
- Topping: In a bowl, combine the rolled oats, sugar and flour; cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Stir in the orange rind.
- Sprinkle over the rhubarb filling.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake 40 to 50 minutes longer or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is puffed and set.
- Serve warm.