Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A great Summer dessert soup from the CBS Saturday Early Show! The prep time does not include time to chill the soup.
- 8 stalks rhubarb
- 4 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 orange, grated for zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 6 strawberries, cut very thin crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Wash 7 rhubarb stalks, peel away any tough exterior, trim the ends and cut the stalks into chunks.
- Combine the rhubarb pieces, water, sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a saucepot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook until the rhubarb is falling apart, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Note: There is a very small window where the rhubarb goes from tender to mush; keep testing the fruit by piercing it with a sharp knife, and as soon as it penetrates, remove it from the heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the contents to a shatter-proof container.
- Refrigerate the soup until cold.
- When chilled, discard the cinnamon.
- If you have a juicer, put the remaining rhubarb stalk in and process to release its juice.
- Otherwise, you can substitute 1 Tbsp of lemon juice for the rhubarb juice.
- Strain and add the juice to the chilled soup.
- Serve the soup in four chilled dessert bowls, with a scoop of ice cream, a few berries and some mint.
- This recipe can also be made dairy-free by using soy ice cream!