A great Summer dessert soup from the CBS Saturday Early Show! The prep time does not include time to chill the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash 7 rhubarb stalks, peel away any tough exterior, trim the ends and cut the stalks into chunks.
- 2Combine the rhubarb pieces, water, sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a saucepot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 3Cook until the rhubarb is falling apart, 8 to 12 minutes.
- 4Note: There is a very small window where the rhubarb goes from tender to mush; keep testing the fruit by piercing it with a sharp knife, and as soon as it penetrates, remove it from the heat.
- 5Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the contents to a shatter-proof container.
- 6Refrigerate the soup until cold.
- 7When chilled, discard the cinnamon.
- 8If you have a juicer, put the remaining rhubarb stalk in and process to release its juice.
- 9Otherwise, you can substitute 1 Tbsp of lemon juice for the rhubarb juice.
- 10Strain and add the juice to the chilled soup.
- 11Serve the soup in four chilled dessert bowls, with a scoop of ice cream, a few berries and some mint.
- 12This recipe can also be made dairy-free by using soy ice cream!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Soup with Berries
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.8
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 44.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 97.9 g
- Protein 2.6 g