Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This light souffle omelette is packed full of juicy, spiced rhubarb and strawberries and is on the table in less than 20 minutes. As an alternative filling I like ti use banana, mango and brown sugar, or pineapple pieces and stem ginger.
- 250 g rhubarb, cut into 2 . 5cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon spices
- 100 g strawberries, sliced
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 25 g butter
- icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche, to serve
- Place the rhubarb, orange juice, 3 Tbsp of the caster suage and the mixed spice in a pan and bring to the boil; simmer for 4 minutes until tender and thickened. Sir in the strawberries and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and remaining caster sugar until pale, then stir in the orange zest. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg yolks carefully into the whites.
- Pre heat the grill to medium. Melt the butter in a 23cm frying pan and spoon in the egg mixture so that it covers the base. Cook over a gentle heat for a few minutes until golden underneath and beginning to set, then grill for 1 minute until golden and puffy.
- Slide the souffle onto a serving plate and spoon some of the fruit and sauce over half of it. Fold over and dust liberally with icing sugar. Serve in wedges with extra fruit and a spoonful of creme fraiche.