Recipe by Lene
This light souffle omelette is packed full of juicy, spiced rhubarb and strawberries and is on the table in less than 20 minutes. As an alternative filling I like ti use banana, mango and brown sugar, or pineapple pieces and stem ginger.
- 250 g rhubarb, cut into 2 . 5cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon spices
- 100 g strawberries, sliced
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 25 g butter
- icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the rhubarb, orange juice, 3 Tbsp of the caster suage and the mixed spice in a pan and bring to the boil; simmer for 4 minutes until tender and thickened. Sir in the strawberries and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and remaining caster sugar until pale, then stir in the orange zest. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg yolks carefully into the whites.
- Pre heat the grill to medium. Melt the butter in a 23cm frying pan and spoon in the egg mixture so that it covers the base. Cook over a gentle heat for a few minutes until golden underneath and beginning to set, then grill for 1 minute until golden and puffy.
- Slide the souffle onto a serving plate and spoon some of the fruit and sauce over half of it. Fold over and dust liberally with icing sugar. Serve in wedges with extra fruit and a spoonful of creme fraiche.