A verstatile rhubarb sauce that is good to keep in the refrigerator to whirl with fruit and milk or frozen yogurt for a fast breakfast on the run. Recipe for a Pick-a-Fruit Rhubarb milkshake, using this rhubarb base, is included. Delicious with the strawberry option and the ice cream addition for a thick shake. Edited with twissis' excellent tips: The base mix cooks down to a volume of about 3 cups which would provide 6 servings. For each shake use 1/2 cup base mix, 3/4 cup strawberries or other fruit, and 1/2 cup ice cream (no milk). Thanks to Twissis for these refined directions for using the base mix.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
FOR EACH PICK-A-FRUIT and RHUBARB milkshake
- 1⁄2 cup rhubarb, base
- 1⁄2 cup frozen raspberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries or 3⁄4 cup strawberry
- 1 scoop vanilla frozen yogurt (optional) or 1 scoop low-fat ice cream, for a thicker shake (optional)
- RHUBARB BASE:.
- In a non-reactive medium saucepan, stir together sugar and orange juice.
- Stir in rhubarb and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to airtight container.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- FOR EACH PICK-A-FRUIT AND RHUBARB MILKSHAKE:.
- Toss the 1/2 cup rhubarb base mix and chosen fruit into a blender.
- Add some milk or frozen yogurt or ice cream for a thicker shake.
- Blend until mixed well.