Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Keep this on hand for summer guests or--if you're like me--you need a way to preserve all that luscious rhubarb, this recipe is a sure-fire way to use some up! OR if you've already frozen all your 'barb, then measure out what's need--let it thaw completely, then drain--but do NOT press liquid out! Taste Of Home, Summer '09 NOTE: cooking time noted is that needed for FREEZING!!!
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 8 cups diced rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- ginger ale (plain or flavored)
- carbonated lemon-lime beverage (like Squirt or 50/50)
- In a large pot (or Dutch oven), bring water, sugar, berries & 'barb to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5-8 minutes (barb will be tender).
- Press through a sieve; discard pulp.
- Stir in gelatin and lemon juice until dissolved.
- Transfer to a freezer container (ice-cream pail or cake pan); freeze, stirring occasionally, until firm.
- May be frozen for up to three months (or longer if you're living dangerously).
- To use as a punch: combine EQUAL amounts of 'barb mixture and ginger-ale in a punch bowl or in several pitchers.
- For SINGLE SERVING: combine 1/2 cup 'barb mix with 1/2 cup mixer.
This is excellent! It would make a wonderful party slush if you added 1 bottle of 80 proof vodka before freezing.