1/1 Photo of Rhubarb Shortbread
1 hr 5 mins
Elly in Canada's Note:
Recipe by Gale Gand
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
for the jam
for the shortbread
- 1Make the jam: Combine rhubarb, sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan.
- 2Split vanilla bean, scrape the seeds into the pan, and toss in the pod.
- 3Bring to a simmer over low heat, cook, stirring often, until rhubarb softens and forms a soft mass, about 10 minutes.
- 4Remove and discard vanilla bean.
- 5Transfer to a shallow bowl and let cool.
- 6Can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to one week.
- 7If refrigerated, return to room temperature before using.
- 8You may substitute 1 cup of your favorite jam or preserves for the homemade.
- 9Make the shortbread: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 10In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on high speed until pale and fluffy.
- 11Add egg yolks and sugar, and beat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light.
- 12Reduce mixer speed to low, and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until the ingredients are incorporated.
- 13Turn the dough out onto a work surface and cut into two pieces.
- 14Shape each piece into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- 15Place in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- 16Can be made ahead and frozen for up to one month.
- 17Thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- 18Assemble and bake: Preheat oven to 350° with rack in center.
- 19Remove one ball of dough from freezer and, using the large holes on a box grater, grate the dough into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- 20Pat the dough gently just to get it into the corners (you dont want to press it down), and spread with the rhubarb jam.
- 21Grate the remaining dough over the jam, and press it lightly to distribute it evenly.
- 22Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- 23Dust with confectioners sugar as soon as it is removed from oven.
- 24Cool on a wire rack.
- 25Cut the shortbread into bars when it is cool.
- 26You can cut whatever size bars please you, although as a rough guide, 3-inch squares, or rectangles 1 1/2 inches by 3 inches make nice servings.
- 27Store covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (2105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.7
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 142.8 mg
- Sodium 118.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: