Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I absolutely LOVE rhubarb!!! When I was a kid, I'd pick it fresh, wet it down & then stick it into the sugar canister, when my Mom wasn't looking...YUMMMMM!!!!! This easy-to-make wonderful tasting sauce can be used as a topping for ice cream, pancakes or whatever else your little heart desires...I can eat it all by itself!!!
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, diced fine
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert (can use Raspberry or Cherry is desired)
- 1 cup water (if needed)
- Mix the rhubarb & sugar together & let set overnight., covered.
- Next day, stir in the water, if needed.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally & watching carefully so not to burn -- boil for 15 minutes.
- Add the JELLO & boil for another 3 minutes.
- Pour into sterile jars or containers.
- Refridgerate or freeze. (Will keep in fridge for up to 30 days IF you can leave it alone -- LOL!).
- NOTE: Add a pint of strawberries to the sauce before boiling, if desired!
This is so yummy! It was easy, and fairly quick, not counting the overnight wait time. I think I might use less sugar next time, because it was quite sweet. I suppose it depends on how sour your rhubarb is.