Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful sweet, creamy, cheesy, nutty, fruity delight of an ice cream. The ricotta adds a nice cheesy flavor. The rhubarb is subtle but adds a light tangy fruity flavor and beautiful pink color. The almond extract adds a nutty fruity background for the creamy crunch of macadamia nuts. I feel the honey and zest brought everything together. If you would like a spiced ice cream, a teaspoon of cinnamon would probably be good in it. I was tempted to add a can of crushed pineapple too but I was afraid it would overpower the other flavors.
- 226.79 g rhubarb, frozen crimson sliced (about 3 cups)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml oranges or 4.92 ml lemon, fresh zest of
- 236.59 ml water or 236.59 ml orange juice
- 236.59 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 118.29 ml honey (orange blossom or acacia are nice)
- 236.59 ml cream (heavy or light)
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 177.44 ml macadamia nuts, roasted and chopped
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, zest and water in medium (non-aluminum) saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb breaks down. Remove from heat, set aside and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat ricotta and honey until creamy.
- Beat in cream, half and half, almond extract until well combined.
- Stir in rhubarb mixture until well combined.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker following manufacturers instructions. *You could try freezing it in a container and stirring it every few hours or ice cube trays and then mashing and stirring them together in a container.
- When the ice cream is nearly done add the macadamia nuts.