Recipe by foodtvfan
Recipe from Cottage Life magazine, April/May 1998. It won first prize in a contest. A tasty combination of rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries or cherries. Vary the fruits according to seasons such as strawberries, apples, peaches, plums, pears, blackberries. I used Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) to grease the pan.
Top Review by Lalaloula
This cake is spectacularly yummy! It is fruity, sweet, tart and just mmm moreish! :) The crust is very airy and spongy with great flavour and the crumbs are sooo great, very flakey and crisp. Everybody loved this and I will surely make it again and again and again.
For the fruit I used rhubarb, banana and apple, which was a yummy combination and worked out well. Due to my bananas being very ripe, I reduced the sugar in the topping to 1/2 cup. That was plenty for us. I also added about 1/2 tbs of vanilla extract to the topping mix.
To make this a bit nuttier I used half whole spelt flour.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this amazing recipe with us, foodtvfan, I cant believe noone ever made this since 2009!
Made and reviewed for PRMR Tag Game May 2011.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup light cream (10%)
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries or 1⁄2 cup sour pitted cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light cream (10%)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture is consistency of fine crumbs.
- Beat egg and cream together.
- Add to dry mixture, stirring to make a soft sticky dough.
- Pat dough into a greased 9”x13”x2” baking pan.
- Combine rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries or cherries, sugar and flour.
- Toss lightly.
- Beat egg and melted butter together.
- Add to fruit, stirring gently to mix.
- Spread over dough.
- Mix flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Cut in the butter.
- Add cream, stirring to make a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden.
- Cut into squares.