Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Spring--the rhubarb is starting! From Smart Cooking by Anne Lindsay.
Make and share this Rhubarb Pudding With Custard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Cut fresh rhubarb into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar, orange rind and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes for fresh, 3 minutes for frozen.
- Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water, stir into rhubarb.
- Cook stirring, over medium heat until mixture thickens and becomes clear.
- Boil gently for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
- Let cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Custard sauce: In a heavy non aluminum saucepan or top of double boiler, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened slightly.
- Whisk egg yolk, whisk about 1/2 cup of hot mixture into yolk.
- Whisk yolk mixture back into hot milk mixture.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat for about 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- To serve, pour sauce over individual servings of rhubarb.
The first time that I made this, I followed the recipe exactly & the "pudding" just didn't thicken. But I loved the combination with the custard - so I made a second batch last night. I only used 1 cup of water & 2 1/2 tbsps of cornstarch & got much better results! When I make this with frozen rhubarb, I will further reduce the water to 1/2 cup. Thanx for posting!
Made this up for dessert tonight. I substituted splenda for the sugar. And I cooked the rhubarb like ya said but didn't add the sweetener til the end. It tastes wonderful and a dressy way to serve rhubarb.
I am giving the custard sauce 5 stars - I did not mak the full recipe,only the sauce. The sauce is just perfect for a little something extra for a fruit salad. My kids have eaten way more fruit in the past few days since I started adding just a bit of this sauce. It will be one of these recipes I make often.