Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Taimi-Previdi’s cookbook, The Best of Finnish Cooking.
- 3 cups rhubarb, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons potato starch or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- Add rhubarb, 3 cups water and sugar into a stainless steel or enameled saucepan, bring to boil, lower the heat, cover, and let simmer until the rhubarb is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Mix the starch with the cold water in a small bowl and gradually whisk it into the rhubarb mixture.
- Bring back to boil and cook until mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle with sugar to prevent skin from forming, allow to cool and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Great way to use up rhubarb! I added in a splash of vanilla too and served over ice cream - tastes like summer! Made for zwt9