Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on a recipe from Otava’s book, New Flavours from Finland.
Make and share this Rhubarb Pie recipe from Food.com.
For the pie base
- 2 eggs
- 6 1⁄2 ounces caster sugar
- 3 1⁄2 ounces milk
- 3 1⁄2 ounces whipping cream
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
For the filling
- 2 cups rhubarb, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Prepare a rectangular baking tray by greasing with a fine layer of butter, or place baking paper on an ordinary baking tray.
- Carefully mix the eggs and sugar together. Add the milk, cream and melted butter and combine. In a small bowl, mix the baking powder and both measures of the flour together. Add this mixture to the liquid, mixing it only just enough to achieve an even consistency. Spread the dough on the prepared baking tray.
- Scatter the rhubarb pieces evenly over the dough. Rub the butter into the sugar and flour to form a crumbly consistency and sprinkle on top of the pie. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla sauce.