1/1 Photo of Rhubarb Pie
4 hrs 45 mins
I searched for ages for a plain rhubarb pie with a "from scratch" pie pastry (without horrible shortening) and failed. So I came up with my own one, and this was a major success! It's absolutely VITAL to keep the butter as chilled as possible during the pastry preparation. Also vital to chill the pastry before working with it. If you let it melt the pastry will not come out flaky and tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together the flour, 1 tbspn caster sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- 2Take the chilled butter and cut it into small cubes, about 1cm square.
- 3Return the butter to the fridge to rechill it.
- 4Take it out and mix it into the flour mixture, using a food processor, pastry blender, or your fingers (if you have cold hands). Work as quickly as possible.
- 5Return it to the fridge to rechill if any of the butter has softened.
- 6Put some ice cubes in the water.
- 7Take out the pastry mix and one tablespoon at a time add the ice water, mixing using a flat butter knife. Keep adding until the pastry starts to pull together.
- 8Working quickly, form the pastry into two separate balls.
- 9Wrap them in gladwrap.
- 10Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- 11Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 12Take one ball of dough and roll it into a rough circle.
- 13Press it into a pie dish, about 20cm diameter, shallow.
- 14Make sure it goes over the top edges of the pie dish.
- 15Return to fridge to chill again.
- 16Chop up the rhubarb in small cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- 17Add cornflour and 200 g caster sugar and mix together.
- 18Place this filling into the pie case.
- 19With the other ball of dough, roll out flat and then cut into lattice strips.
- 20Lay strips over pie case, pressing to the edge.
- 21Brush strips with milk and sprinkle raw sugar.
- 22Bake for 45 minutes Check as it bakes to make sure pastry edges aren't going too brown - if they are, drop it down a shelf in the oven.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Pie
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1000.2
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.3 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 979.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 137.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 57.0 g
- Protein 11.6 g