Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
This is a wonderful recipe one of DHs coworkers brought in. His mother was quite the baker and DH loved this pie, probably his favorite. Time does not allow for making your own pie crust.
- 10 cups rhubarb, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs, reserve 2 T for egg wash
- 2 pie crusts
- 2 pieces pastry dough, rounds, for lattice top
- 2 tablespoons sugar, in the raw, topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Clean and cut rhubarb into 1" pieces, set aside in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar and flour.
- Pour over rhubarb and combine well.
- Pour evenly into 2 pie crusts.
- Arrange pastry strips to make a lattice top. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400°, reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
- top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.