Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a 1950's recipe from the Rhubarb Growers Assoc. of Sumner, Washington (my hometown, also known as "The Bulb Capital of the West"!). Different from all of the other rhubarb cake/rhubarb upside down cake recipes on Zaar, it includes lemon peel which adds a wonderful fresh flavor. The cute title hints at the hiding rhubarb beneath the cake.
- 4 cups unpeeled diced rhubarb (1 pound)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- powdered sugar
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 glass pan.
- Mix cake as directed on package, and pour batter into pan.
- Top with rhubarb and lemon rind.
- Sprinkle sugar over top of all.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkled with powdered sugar, (optional).
- Number of servings is a guesstimate.