Recipe by Busdav
Once you try this pie it will spoil you for other rhubarb pie recipes. This recipe is from the old Farm Journal pie book from the sixties and is a family favorite. That book had several wonderful recipes. Unfortunately the book was poorly made and disintegrated all too soon. We were thrilled to learn that it had been re-issued but discovered to our dismay that that all of our favorite recipes were gone! We made do by photo copying the remains of the old book and now you get to share in the bounty. By the way NEVER skip the drip pan! This pie will always overflow and it makes a nasty smelly mess on the bottom of the oven if you don't have something to catch it.
- 1 pastry dough, for 1-crust pie
- 3 eggs, separated plus
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add ¼ cup sugar gradually beating well after each addition.
- Add butter and OJ concentrate to the egg yolks and beat thoroughly.
- Add remaining 1 cup sugar, flour and salt.
- Beat well.
- Add rhubarb to the egg yolk mixture and stir well.
- Gently fold in meringue mixture.
- Pour into unbaked 9" pie shell and sprinke with nuts.
- Set on a drip pan, cover with foil and bake 30 min at 400 degrees.
- Remove foil and bake until set 10-20 minutes more.