Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a family recipe, and yes the ingredient amounts are correct. I got this recipe from my gran who got it somewhere else (i like to make it my own by adding 300g light brown sugar and 80g dark brown sugar). I have made it on numerous occasions and the reviews every time have been outstanding and i have had many comments such as the best cake i have ever eaten. Today our neighbour came around and tried it and said it is everything in one - moist, chewy, crunchy, soft, - she went on and on.
- Cream butter and sugar(it does not get to the consistency of white sugar and butter).
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Sift in a tablespoon of flour first and fold it in (a trick my mummy always taught me).
- Sift in the rest of the flour, baking soda and cinnamon; fold it together.
- Add rhubarb, lemon rind and sour cream; combine well.
- Pour into a 22cm cake tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Topping (optional): 80g brown sugar with cinnamon.