Recipe by Bergy
My kind neighbor Shirley left me some rhubarb and this recipe, nice thought! I made the loaf and it is very good. She said she got the recipe many years ago from some gourmet magazine. It has a nice texture
Top Review by officemaintenance
I liked this bread a lot and it smelled so good baking.I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter and used applesauce for half the oil.I used two cups of frozen rhubarb and omitted the nuts.For the topping I used brown sugar instead of white and I added about a half teaspoon of cinnamon to that as well.This bread turned out really moist and I especially loved the topping.Next time I may even sprinkle some in the middle of the bread as well as on the top.
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325F, lightly butter and flour two 8"x4"x3" loaf pans Combine the brown sugar, veggie oil and the egg.
- combine the buttermilk (sour milk), baking soda, salt& vanilla.
- Add the milk mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with the flour, beating well after each addition Fold in the rhubarb& the nuts.
- Turn batter into the two loaf pans.
- Sprinkle with the melted butter and sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until done.
- Turn out on a wire rack to cool.