Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Soon it'll be spring and fresh rhubarb will be available. This recipe is from Simply in Season.
Make and share this Rhubarb Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour or 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine the two flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt (first 5 ingredients).
- I another bowl, combine the buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla, mixing thoroughly (next 5 ingredients).
- Stir in dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Stir in rhubarb and nuts (if using).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins two-thirds full.
- Combine final 4 ingredients and sprinkle on top of batter.
- Preheat oven to 375F and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
I used plain yogurt in these muffins and they came out very moist. The flavors were great too. After sharing them at work, I even had one co-worker ask for the recipe. [Made for The I Recommend Tag]
I used buttermilk, only 1/2 cup brown sugar, didn't use the nuts. I did the topping like mentionned. These are very good muffin. They are moist and not too sweet with the 1/2 cup brown sugar. But next time I may do them with only all purpose flour. Thanks Dreamer :) Made for 123 hit wonders
Mmmmmm, These are marvelous muffins Dreamer. I had just a cup of fat free vanilla yogurt left so I used that up. Other than the yogurt I made these with 2 cups of whole wheat flour and a 1/2 cup of unbleached. For the sugar I used 1/2 the amount ask of Splenda Brown Blend, 1/3 cup of oil and used just Splenda and cinnamon on top. Even with my diabetic cut backs they are moist, light textured and delicious. What more could you ask? :D