Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Soon it'll be spring and fresh rhubarb will be available. This recipe is from Simply in Season.
Top Review by averybird
I used plain yogurt in these muffins and they came out very moist. The flavors were great too. After sharing them at work, I even had one co-worker ask for the recipe. [Made for The I Recommend Tag]
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour or 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine the two flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt (first 5 ingredients).
- I another bowl, combine the buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla, mixing thoroughly (next 5 ingredients).
- Stir in dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Stir in rhubarb and nuts (if using).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins two-thirds full.
- Combine final 4 ingredients and sprinkle on top of batter.
- Preheat oven to 375F and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.