Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this muffin recipe based on 2-3 different recipes I have been using from Zaar. I ran out of Splenda, otherwise I would have used all Splenda and no sugar. I found it really interesting how much lower the yield when using Splenda and/or apple sauce instead of butter. Another recipe with 1/2 cup of butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar yields 24 muffins.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, soft (optional)
- Cream butter, sugar and splenda in a mixer.
- Beat in apple sauce + eggs one at a time; add vanilla extract.
- Mix flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl, add 1/2 to mix; beat - add yoghurt - beat - add remaining flour mix.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Add batter to medium muffin cups.
- In small bowl - mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake at 350 F - for 25 min or until golden.
These are very good, and they taste much more decadent than they are! I used whole wheat and oat flours (oat is so light in baked goods), and I decreased the sugar to 2/3 c and omitted the Splenda. We especially enjoyed the topping, and while I used the butter this time I think it will be just as good without it next time. I have recently fallen in love with rhubarb and I'm so glad to have found this recipe. Thanks so much for posting! Made for PRMR tag.
These are good gluten free my way! I made these using Any Kind Muffins (Gluten Free) with butter as this recipe instead of canola oil in that one. I made Am. Applesauce W/English Mixed Spice Inspired by a French Tart without the spices for the unsweetened applesauce, I used only brown sugar as in the gluten free recipe. I added vanilla paste in a lesser amount as I think it is stronger & of course the rhubarb fresh from someones garden. I made the topping with a gluten free flour mix and the butter but maybe it would have been better without the butter I didn't realise it was optional. Thanks Deantini. Made for ZWT6 Germany/Benelux region, for my team, The Ya Ya Cookerhood!
I have a lot of rhubarb to use and I was glad to see this recipe in the all-player cookbook for ZWT :) I used only 1/2 cup of sugar and 3/4 cup Splenda. The taste is sweet just enough. I'm glad I reduced the sugar. I made the topping without the butter. After the 25 minutes I thought my muffins were ready. The tooth-pick came out clean. But when I tried to remove them from the pan, I saw they were too moist so I put them back in the warm oven for a 10 minutes. They are so yummy. Thanks Deantini :) Made for the Zwizzle Chicks of ZWT