Recipe by Deantini
I came up with this muffin recipe based on 2-3 different recipes I have been using from Zaar. I ran out of Splenda, otherwise I would have used all Splenda and no sugar. I found it really interesting how much lower the yield when using Splenda and/or apple sauce instead of butter. Another recipe with 1/2 cup of butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar yields 24 muffins.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
These are very good, and they taste much more decadent than they are! I used whole wheat and oat flours (oat is so light in baked goods), and I decreased the sugar to 2/3 c and omitted the Splenda. We especially enjoyed the topping, and while I used the butter this time I think it will be just as good without it next time. I have recently fallen in love with rhubarb and I'm so glad to have found this recipe. Thanks so much for posting! Made for PRMR tag.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, soft (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, sugar and splenda in a mixer.
- Beat in apple sauce + eggs one at a time; add vanilla extract.
- Mix flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl, add 1/2 to mix; beat - add yoghurt - beat - add remaining flour mix.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Add batter to medium muffin cups.
- In small bowl - mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake at 350 F - for 25 min or until golden.