Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this in the summer when I have lots of rhubarb in the garden.
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl beat egg, sugar, oil and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add rhubarb.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Stir in milk.
- Fill well greased muffin pans 3/4 full.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
These are really good muffins! The only change that I made was to reduce the amount of sugar from 1 1/2 cups to 1 cup. They were still perfectly sweet, especially with the added sugar sprinkled on top. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
These were pleasant muffins. I used brown sugar exclusively, and substituted one cup of rhubarb for chopped apples. If I made these again, I'd put some cinnamon in the actual batter as well.
Just tried this warm out of the oven - I made it as a cake instead of individual muffins and it is wonderful - it has the light texture of a tea cake and is not as dense as often muffins are. I ran out of brown sugar and cinnamon so used white sugar and allspice as subs.