Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from a friend and one thing we always have plenty of is rhubarb.
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml wheat bran
- 414.03 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter
- 158.51 ml brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml rhubarb, diced, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the brown sugar, almonds and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside for the topping.
- Combine buttermilk and wheat bran and allow to stand.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat well.
- Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and bran mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in 1 cup diced rhubarb.
- Spoon batter into prepared 9" x 9" pan.
- Top with remaining rhubarb.
- Sprinkle with almond topping.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
This is outstanding - a must try it recipe for rhubarb season! It came out deliciously moist. I had wheat germ on hand, so used that in place of the wheat bran (not sure what the difference is between the two). I also couldn't resist dotting this with about 2 tablespoons butter before popping in the oven. Thanks, Jacqueline! Made for PAC Spring '08.
These were very yummy! I made them to take on our long drive to Seward, Alaska for the 4th of July festivities. I mixed all the rhubarb in the batter then poured it into muffin cups and topped it with crumbs for maximum portability. :-) I also used half whole wheat flour. Delish!