Recipe by Jacqueline in KY
This recipe is from a friend and one thing we always have plenty of is rhubarb.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is outstanding - a must try it recipe for rhubarb season! It came out deliciously moist. I had wheat germ on hand, so used that in place of the wheat bran (not sure what the difference is between the two). I also couldn't resist dotting this with about 2 tablespoons butter before popping in the oven. Thanks, Jacqueline! Made for PAC Spring '08.
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the brown sugar, almonds and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside for the topping.
- Combine buttermilk and wheat bran and allow to stand.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat well.
- Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and bran mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in 1 cup diced rhubarb.
- Spoon batter into prepared 9" x 9" pan.
- Top with remaining rhubarb.
- Sprinkle with almond topping.
- Bake for 45 minutes.