Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is like a BIG rhubarb pavlova. From New Zealand chef Ray McVinnie. This man rocks
- 330 g caster sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 5 drops lemon juice
- 500 g rhubarb, sliced into 5cm long pieces
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Preheat over to 100°C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper and trace a 25cm circle on each.
- Beat 1/3 of the sugar into the egg whites to a stiff foam.
- Add lemon juice adding another 1/3 of the sugar.
- Stop beating and FOLD in the last 1/3 of the sugar.
- Pile half the meringue mixture onto each baking sheet and spread into the 25 cm circle.
- Don not over handle the mixture.
- Place in oven and bake 1 1/2 hours-2 hours until crisp and well dried out.
- Switch off oven and let cool completely.
- Rhubarb filling:.
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Put the rhubarb into a small roasting dish.
- Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top.
- Add the water and lemon juice and place in oven.
- Bake 25 minutes until the rhubarb is tender.
- Remove from the oven, cool, cover and chill.
- To serve:.
- Make a sandwich with the 2 meringue discs with the whipped cream and drained rhubarb in the middle.
- Serve in wedges with the rhubarb syrup spooned over the top.