Recipe by joan in CNY
Don't know where I found this recipe but I saved it because it is so similar to my Grandmother's (which I can't find).
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (more or less according to desired tartness)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sliced rhubarb, sugar (the 1 1/2 cups,) flour and salt, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks add milk,and vanilla extract.
- Add to rhubarb mixture.
- Put in pie shell and bake at 375 degrees fo 60 minutes.
- Shortly before done mix egg whites with gradually added sugar and beat with electric mixer until very stiff.
- Top pie with with meringue and bake again until light golden brown, about 5 min.