Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from a friend from Canada.
Make and share this Rhubarb Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons marshmallow creme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, salt and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil over low heat.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and add to rhubarb mix.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until clear and thick.
- Add spices.
- Add lemon juice and slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into rhubarb mix.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Meringue: Beat remaining egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients and beat well.
- Spoon meringue over rhubarb mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.