Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful dessert to make when rhurbarb is in season. This is a very simple dessert to make, and it is very good!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream (unwhipped) or 2⁄3 cup 2% evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (can use more)
- 4 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- For the crust: combine all crust ingredients in a processor until crumbly.
- Press the mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- To make filling: combine all filling ingredients in the microwave (removing and stirring occasionally) until thickened, (this can also be prepared in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, but watch closely as it will scorch very easily!).
- Pour the hot filling over the baked crust.
- To make the meringue: beat egg whites with sugar until thick and glossy.
- Spread over the cooked rhurbarb filling.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.