Recipe by WI Cheesehead
Saving this to try in summer when our garden has an abundance of rhubarb.
Top Review by Sarahcita
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I've looked for years for one like this given to me by a farmer's wife - it was the best! Her's used pie crust topped with lattice. The meringue-like filling would bubble up and crisp. The filling was a wonderful combination of the sweet/sour goodness that rhubarb has... Your recipe is the closest yet, and I'm truly thankful for it! Thanks!
- 1 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut in small pieces (thinner stems are always more tender)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 1 C flour and powdered sugar together.
- Cut the margarine or butter into the flour mixture.
- Press into a 9x9-inch pan or 9" or 10" round baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, 1/2 C flour and baking powder.
- Mix in the rhubarb.
- Pour into the cooked crust and bake 45 min or till the meringue crust has formed & is lightly browned.