Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Saving this to try in summer when our garden has an abundance of rhubarb.
Make and share this Rhubarb Meringue recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut in small pieces (thinner stems are always more tender)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 1 C flour and powdered sugar together.
- Cut the margarine or butter into the flour mixture.
- Press into a 9x9-inch pan or 9" or 10" round baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, 1/2 C flour and baking powder.
- Mix in the rhubarb.
- Pour into the cooked crust and bake 45 min or till the meringue crust has formed & is lightly browned.
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I've looked for years for one like this given to me by a farmer's wife - it was the best! Her's used pie crust topped with lattice. The meringue-like filling would bubble up and crisp. The filling was a wonderful combination of the sweet/sour goodness that rhubarb has... Your recipe is the closest yet, and I'm truly thankful for it! Thanks!
This was okay. The crust had great flavor, but really crumbled when I tried to get it out of the pan. The custard didn't fluff up at all and just carmelized on top of the crust. Good flavor, but I think it needs improvements. Thank you.
Such a simple recipe w/a wonderful outcome! I got the 1st batch of my abundant summer-long rhubarb supply Fri nite from my friend *Magga* & her garden, so I made your recipe Sat in a 10-in rd baking dish. I used an extra cup of rhubarb as you suggested & added 1 tsp of vanilla to the custard (my choice). I esp like the sugar cookie bottom crust & the way the custard bakes to create a crunchy pie-like frame of the dish. What a treat WIC! I am so glad I found it right at the start of summer. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. Yum! :-)