Recipe by Northern_Reflectionz
When hot from the oven, serve with whipped or ice cream. Or cool and cut in squares. Easier than the regular matrimonial date squares my grandmother spent hours preparing
Top Review by LillyZackMom
This was GREAT! I've never had rhubarb so I had no clue what I was getting into. I ended up with about 2.75c of diced rhubarb and was AMAZED at the amount of liquid yielded from that and the 1/2c of sugar. Instead of 3/4c of butter I used 1/2c of butter plus 1/4c of applesauce. Followed the recipe exactly and LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!
- 3 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, cook rhubarb with 1/2 cup of the sugar until it is tender.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar with cornstarch and add to the rhubarb mixture.
- Continue cooking 4-5 minutes.
- Sift flour and baking soda, brown sugar and rolled oats.
- Cut in butter.
- Pat half of this mixture into a 9 x 13 pan (greased).
- Spoon cooled rhubarb mixture over.
- Top with other half of crumbed mixture.
- Bake 375F 35-45 minutes.
- Cut in squares once cooled.