Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love rhubarb anything - pie, cobblers or just plain stewed rhubarb. I came across this recipe in an old cookbook my mother used. The cookbook is dated 1945. I was afraid of all the lemon in the recipe since rhubarb is already quite sour but I went ahead and put it all in. The first batch was gone almost immediately and I have made it often since then.
- Wash rhubarb and cut into thin slices without peeling it.
- Wash lemon and grate the zest or shave off the yellow rind in very thin, small strips.
- Add lemon rind and sugar to rhubarb and mix well.
- Let it stand at least one hour or even overnight is fine.
- When you are ready to cook it, add the juice of the lemon and cook down quickly until thick.
- Pour into clean hot jars and seal.