Recipe by Lezlie
This recipe came from a 20 year old magazine, it's a wonderful cake, moist, easy to make and freezes well. The name of this cake is derived from the buttery brown sugar topping that sinks into the cake as it bakes and forms a crusty layer reminiscent of a lunar landscape!
Top Review by loof
This was a fantastic moist and delicious cake! It had the texture and flavor of a coffee cake, which I loved. I made it exactly as directed and it did really take on that 'lunar' look. I think it would be great with any fruit - apples, blueberries, peaches....!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Batter: Cream together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to butter and sugar mixture 1/3 at a time, along with buttermilk.
- Toss rhubarb with 1 tbsp flour and fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch cake pan and smooth the surface.
- Topping: Blend together topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until cake has risen, browned and comes away from the edges, and skewer (or toothpick) inserted in the centre comes out clean.