Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Delicious Living magazine. It's a nice soda substitute. The original recipe calls for 1 cup natural cane sugar. Use that if you can have it. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon pure stevia (or to taste)
- 6 cups coarsely chopped fresh organic rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (scant)
- 5 1⁄2 cups unflavored sparkling water
- In a saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Add rhubarb; return to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and stir gently.
- Strain into a bowl, allowing pulp to drain for at least 10 minutes without pressing.
- Pour liquid into a pitcher and add lemon juice.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour. (It can be made several days in advance at this point and kept in the fridge.).
- To serve, either mix equal portions of sparkling water and juice, or add 5 1/2 cups sparkling water to the pitcher, stir and serve with ice cubes.