I needed to use up a lemon and some rhubarb and after a quick search on the internet, this is what I decided to make. It's tart and sweet and a beautiful pink color. If you want, you can keep the rhubarb pulp after you strain the syrup and add it to some vanilla yogurt or eat it straight out of the bowl. Yummy.
- Rhubarb Lemon Syrup:.
- Chop the rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and place in a medium saucepan.
- Zest the lemon into the saucepan and add the lemon juice. Add the sugar and enough water to cover the rhubarb (about 1 cup).
- Simmer the mixture over medium heat about 10 minutes (the rhubarb will become soft and mushy). Taste to ensure the mixture is sweet enough, if you have to add sugar, let it simmer a few minutes more to dissolve the sugar.
- Strain the mixture into a clean jar or container and chill.
- Pour 1 part cooled syrup over ice and add 2 parts water or carbonated water, stir and enjoy.