Recipe by irene masztaler
Rhubarb Kuchen recipe from my grandmother. Its a lovely dessert that is a blend of tart, tangy rhubarb and a thick, buttery almond crust.
Top Review by deonrenae
This is not a traditional Kuchen like what we are used to in the Dakotas. There is no custard in this. I think it is more like a rhubarb pie than a kuchen. We only did a few things different and that is because there was so much natural juice from the rhubarb that the bottom of the pie was a puddle instead of a crust. As directed, we stirred sugar into the rhubarb but then we also stirred in 2 tbs Corn Starch to help hold things together. We also let the rhubarb, sugar and corn starch mixture set for 30 minutes before we added it to the pie crust. Also, we used a slotted spoon to take the rhubarb out to keep it a bit drier. The first time we made it per the directions it was junk due to the soggy crust. The second time we made it with the modifications that I just mentioned and it was a hit with our church group. Thanks for sharing!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 5 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup strawberry jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter with 3/4 cup of the sugar.
- Beat in yogurt, egg yolk and orange rind.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and 1/2 cup of the almonds.
- Gradually stir into butter mixture until mixed.
- Using wet spatula or hands, spread dough evenly onto bottom and 3/4 inch up side of greased 10-inch springform pan.
- Toss rhubarb with remaining sugar and orange juice.
- Arrange evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle remaining almonds around the edge.
- Bake in 350 F or (180 C) oven for 45-50 minutes or until pastry edge is golden brown and rhubarb is tender.
- Let cool on rack.
- Remove side of pan.
- To make Glaze: In small saucepan, bring strawberry jelly and 3 tbsp of water to a boil while whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and boil gently whisking often for approx.
- 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Brush over rhubarb and sides of cake.
- Let stand to cool for 5 minutes.