Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Rhubarb Kuchen recipe from my grandmother. Its a lovely dessert that is a blend of tart, tangy rhubarb and a thick, buttery almond crust.
- Cream butter with 3/4 cup of the sugar.
- Beat in yogurt, egg yolk and orange rind.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and 1/2 cup of the almonds.
- Gradually stir into butter mixture until mixed.
- Using wet spatula or hands, spread dough evenly onto bottom and 3/4 inch up side of greased 10-inch springform pan.
- Toss rhubarb with remaining sugar and orange juice.
- Arrange evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle remaining almonds around the edge.
- Bake in 350 F or (180 C) oven for 45-50 minutes or until pastry edge is golden brown and rhubarb is tender.
- Let cool on rack.
- Remove side of pan.
- To make Glaze: In small saucepan, bring strawberry jelly and 3 tbsp of water to a boil while whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and boil gently whisking often for approx.
- 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Brush over rhubarb and sides of cake.
- Let stand to cool for 5 minutes.