Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a friend about 30 years ago, and after the friend had also given me an abundance of rhubarb from her garden. This is a very easy jam to make. I love the added crushed pineapple, and maraschino cherries in this jam.
- 1419.54 ml finely chopped rhubarb
- 946.36 ml granulated sugar
- 226.79 g can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 118.29 ml chopped maraschino cherry
- 170.09 g box strawberry gelatin
- In a large bowl, add the rhubarb and sugar; stir to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, place the rhubarb mixture in a large kettle, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower the heat just abit, and gently boil for 15 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Add the (undrained) crushed pineapple, the chopped maraschino cherries; cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off stove, then add the dry gelatin powder to the kettle; mix well.
- Transfer the jam to the sterilized glass jars, and cover with the lids.
- Cool the jam to room temperature, before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
I used frozen 'barb and some "pine-ini" (home-canned zucchini & pineapple relish), and they worked very well. Nice color and excellent flavor! The strawberry doesn't overpower the rest of the flavors, adds color (my 'barb is half green and half red). *My Three Chefs 08 - Ruh! Ruh! Rhubarb!*