Recipe by Olha
If you do not want to process the jam in a boiling water bath, you can simply store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into 1 inch pieces (8cups)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized bowl, combine rhubarb, sugar and orange zest.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 hours.
- Strain liquid from the rhubarb mixture into a large heavy saucepan, pressing on the solids to release all the juice.
- Set the rhubarb aside.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and cook over medium heat until syrupy and reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes, watching closely toward the end to prevent scorching.
- Add the reserved rhubarb and crystallized ginger and cook, stirring, until the rhubarb is soft and the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into hot, sterilized half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes 1 1/2/ pints.
- 42 calories per tablespoon: 0 G protein, 0 G fat, 11 G carbohydrate; 1 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol.
- Eating Well.