Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Kind of like a cobbler. Really good, I need all the rhubarb recipes I can find because it's one of my favorite dessert flavors. This is super easy. From the San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar (depending on sourness of fruit)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a shallow 8x12 baking dish with butter, set on a baking sheet.
- Spread the chopped rhubarb over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the sugar, coating evenly.
- Dot with the butter.
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl, gently stir in the cream to make a sticky dough Spread this mixture over the fruit, covering evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden.
- Serve with cream, ice cream or custard.
This dessert is perfect. Super easy to make. Enjoyed by all. Thanks. You will need 680gms of rhubarb which is approx one bunch. The oven temp is 190C. I didnt' bother to grease the glass oven dish I used and didn't sit it on a baking sheet.
If you're looking for a very rich dessert featuring the unique sour sweetness of rhubarb, this is superb.