Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
"Based on the recipe in Margaret Costa's Four Season's Cookery Book. I have changed the quantities to metric and substituted golden syrup for black treacle." This recipe & the above quote is taken from The Age newspaper's Epicure section. I haven't tried this, but i love rhubarb, so i might get around to it eventually!
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cut the rhubarb into 3cm pieces and put in the bottom of a well-buttered 1-litre ovenproof dish, with the caster sugar.
- Measure the golden syrup or treacle and stand measuring cup in hot water so that the syrup will run freely.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt together.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the syrup.
- Beat in the egg. Fold in the spiced flour.
- Heat the milk, stirring, with the bicarbonate of soda until completely dissolved, then add to the batter.
- Mix well and spoon the batter over the rhubarb and bake for about 35 minutes until pudding is well-browned and tests cooked with a fine skewer.
- Serve with thick cream.