Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A fool is a dessert where a stewed fruit is mixed with whipped cream. This recipe gets an extra zing from two types of ginger. From cooking.com Prep/cooking time does not include the chilling.
- 680.38-907.18 g rhubarb
- 236.59-295.73 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml chopped candied ginger
- 29.58 ml grated fresh ginger
- 473.18 ml whipping cream
- Trim the ends of the stalk and if more than 1 1/2 inches wide, cut in half lengthwise. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a stainless steel pan with a heavy bottom and a tight-fitting lid, combine the rhubarb, gingers and sugar. (No need for water, it will create its own juices). Cook over low heat until the rhubarb is tender and falling apart. (Or do what I did - throw it all into the rice cooker - I needed two cycles to get it to the right degree of doneness). Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks; fold in the chilled rhubarb until well mixed. Spoon into serving dishes and chill until ready to serve.
This is a truly old fashioned dessert and it makes good use of the humble rhubarb plant. I added a Tbsp of powdered sugar and a few drops of vanilla to the whipped cream for personal preference. Aside from that this was made by the recipe and we couldn't be happier with it. It's a winner in our house.