Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Absolutely delicious! This old fashioned dessert never fails to please. Being a very very old recipe, one has to keep in mind that todays rhubarb is so much sweeter, you may wish to cut the sugar back to one cup or possibly one and a quarter cups ... depending on just how much sweetness you prefer.
- BASE, mix together the flour, margarine and sugar, press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- RHUBARB LAYER, pour boiling water over rhubarb, let stand for 10 minutes and drain.
- Spread drained rhubarb over baked crust.
- FILLING, beat egg yolks, sugar and salt.
- Add the cream/milk slowly and then the flour.
- Pour over rhubarb and bake another 40 minutes at 350.
- TOPPING, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.
- Gradually add sugar making a stiff meringue.
- Spread over top and bake at 350 10 minutes or until a golden brown.
- NOTE: you may sprinkle the topping with coconut before baking, the coconut seems to keep the egg whites from 'weeping'.
I looooove rhubarb and CountryLady's picture is gorgeous!! A great recipe Gerry, I reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and it was perfect for us. I just love the tart rhubarb with the creamy sweet custard-like filling!
What a delectable dessert! Turned out to perfection. Served this to guests and they absolutely loved it. I did scale back the sugar to 11/2 cups since the rhubarb I used is a strawberry rhubarb which is sweeter. This is one rhubarb recipe that will be close at hand. Thank-you so much Gerry for posting this recipe.
While on a mini camping trip, I made this for our friends. While I do not like rhubarb, hubby and our friends went wild. They said it is definitely worth 5 stars and asked that I make it again. Thanks for sharing, Gerry999.