1/2 Photos of Rhubarb Fluff
1 hr 15 mins
Absolutely delicious! This old fashioned dessert never fails to please. Being a very very old recipe, one has to keep in mind that todays rhubarb is so much sweeter, you may wish to cut the sugar back to one cup or possibly one and a quarter cups ... depending on just how much sweetness you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups rhubarb (cut)
- 6 egg yolks (reserve whites for topping)
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (mix of half milk and half cream)
- 1BASE, mix together the flour, margarine and sugar, press into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- 2Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- 3RHUBARB LAYER, pour boiling water over rhubarb, let stand for 10 minutes and drain.
- 4Spread drained rhubarb over baked crust.
- 5FILLING, beat egg yolks, sugar and salt.
- 6Add the cream/milk slowly and then the flour.
- 7Pour over rhubarb and bake another 40 minutes at 350.
- 8TOPPING, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.
- 9Gradually add sugar making a stiff meringue.
- 10Spread over top and bake at 350 10 minutes or until a golden brown.
- 11NOTE: you may sprinkle the topping with coconut before baking, the coconut seems to keep the egg whites from 'weeping'.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Fluff
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.0
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 135.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 32.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g