Recipe by Domestic Goddess
A "delicious" dump cake! Main ingredients are: rhubarb, a yellow cake mix, & either raspberry or strawberry gelatin.
Top Review by KylaM
Hubby says he would eat it again. Extremely easy to make. I followed the recipe except for I only had 3 cups of rhubarb. Worked out okay but I would mix the cake mix with the water and then dump it over the rhubarb mixture so that there wouldn't be dry lumps. Turns out more like a cobbler than a cake. Thanks.
- 4 -5 cups diced rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package raspberry gelatin powder or 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- vanilla ice cream or cool whip dessert topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan with the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle sugar over the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle dry raspberry gelatin, ( or strawberry gelatin ) which ever you prefer; over the sugar.
- Next, sprinkle the cake mix over the gelatin.
- Melt butter; pour over the cake mix.
- Pour the 1 cup of water over cake mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool completely; then chill in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, invert onto plate.
- Top with either vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip.
- Serves 12 to 16.
- Note: If using frozen rhubarb, reduce the amount of water to 1/2 cup.
- This cake was baked in a gas oven.
- If baking in an electric oven, you may need to increase baking time; depending upon oven and altitude.
- Chef sheerkerry baked hers in an electric oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.