Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love rhubarb and this is my favorite way to fix it. I have to make this when I have company over or I will eat the whole thing myself:)...so, so good.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- In food processor, mix together the crust ingredients.
- Press into a 15 x 10-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes (crust will be very light colored).
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, sugar, flour and salt; beat together.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Spread filling mixture on hot crust; return to oven to bake 40-45 minutes longer.
- Cool; cut into bars.
I love rhubarb and I have tried many recipes, but I always come back to this one. So simple, tart, and good! I have made this for years, and before that, my mom made it. I look forward to it every year. This is good as it is, but also warmed up with some ice cream or whipped cream.
These bars taste good, with a very subtle rhubarb flavor. However, this recipe is better suited for a 9 by 13 pan. The pretty picture on this post is definitely not this recipe made in a 10 by 15 pan. I posted the picture (with the ivy leaved plate), so you can see how thin the crust AND topping are. Since this recipe it was made in such a large pan, it baked much quicker than the recipe states. They were slightly overdone at 35 minutes (my oven has an accurate temp). I will remake this in a 9x13 pan and see if that works better.
I was disappointed with this recipe! There was not much rhubarb taste. Tasted bland.