Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 8 mins
It's spring and I call on friends and family to help me find new recipes for rhubarb.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together the crust ingredients and pat this mixture into the bottom of a 9" x 9" cake pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in 325 degrees oven.
- Beat yolks and gradually add sugar, flour, cream and salt. Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into crust and bake 40 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees.
- Beat whites, sugar and salt until stiff.
- Spread meringue on top of filling and bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes or until meringue is nicely brown.